The minor in art history is designed for students who seek to study art history in depth as a complement to their major area of study. The minor provides students with an art-historical education that is balanced and diverse culturally, temporally, and geographically. It allows students to choose from a range of introductory courses that cover a variety of regions, cultures, and periods.
Students must meet the following course requirements for a total of 20 hours*:
- 8 hrs: Choose two of the following (one of which must be ARTH 113 or ARTH 114)
- ARTH 111 Ancient and Medieval Art (4 hrs)
- ARTH 112 Renaissance and Modern Art (4 hrs)
- ARTH 113 Introduction to African Art (4 hrs)
- ARTH 114 Introduction to Asian Art (4 hrs)
- ARTH 115 Art in a Global Context (4 hrs)
- 3 hrs: ARTH 395 Junior Seminar in Art History
- 3 hrs: ARTH courses at the 200, 300, or 400 level
- 6 hrs: ARTH courses at the 300 or 400 level**
* A maximum of one course from either the History of Architecture or the History of Landscape Architecture will count toward the requirements of the Art History Minor.
** At least one of the upper-level Art History courses must be primarily concerned with a subject outside of Europe and the Modern Americas. A maximum of one course from other universities will satisfy the requirements for upper-level Art History courses.
View the Art History Undergraduate Handbook (PDF).
The Art History Minor Advisor, who is also a faculty member in Art History, will monitor the admission process and quality of the writing samples submitted. Mark Avery, Coordinator of Undergraduate Academic Affairs, can direct students to the current Art History Minor Advisor.
Additional information about declaring a minor is available on the Provost's site. Students need to download and print the Statement of Intent to Pursue a Campus-Approved Minor. Students will need to complete the Minor's Modification Form if they are going to cancel their minor or if we need to substitute a class.
To declare the minor, please submit an updated copy of your DARS report along with the Statement of Intent to Pursue a Campus-Approved Minor to the current Art History Minor Advisor for approval and signature. Submit the signed Statement of Intent form to the student's College office.
The department anticipates enrollment of 10-30 students in the minor.