Printing from Illustrator to Epson Inkjet Printers
Before you begin: Work locally. Always start by moving your file to the desktop. Opening and printing files from a USB (or other) drive can create problems.
All jobs sent to any lab printers (inkjet or laser) must be released in Papercut before they will be sent to the printer.
1. Prepare your document for print: Verify that your document is in the CMYK color space, check the file name at the top of the window.
Document Color Mode
If you need to convert your document to CMYK, navigate to File>Document Color Mode>CMYK Color.
Your artboard MUST BE THE SAME SIZE AND DIMENSIONS AS YOUR CUSTOM PAGE SIZE (the size you want to print). If you want to print only a portion of your document, change the size of your artboard to the size you want to print, and position your art on the artboard as you would want it to print.
2. Navigate to File>Print. Select a printer from the Printer dropdown menu. Choose a print queue in the CMYK color space.
3. The inkjet printers will accept only one page and one copy of a document at a time. If your document has multiple artboards, select only the artboard you want to print under the General heading. You will have to print each subsequent artboard separately.
4. In the Media Size heading, check to make sure Media Size is set to Defined by Driver, and that the Orientation is set to Portrait.
(Do not use the auto rotate or landscape orientation buttons to rotate your document. It should always be set to portrait. If you wish to rotate the document, rotate it in Illustrator, not the print dialog.)
5. Under the Options heading in Scaling, Select Do Not Scale.
6. Take note of your Document size listed above in the print preview window. Your document size should be the same as your artboard.
Click the Page Setup button.
7. Select the printer you are using from the Format For dropdown menu. In the Paper Size dropdown menu, select Manage Custom Sizes…
Custom Paper Sizes
8. Click the + button to create a new custom size. Title it appropriately.
Set the Width and Height to the size of your document.
Set Top, Left, Right, and Bottom to “0.”
Note: If you have chosen to print your document with printer’s marks (trim, bleed, registration, etc.) add an additional 1/2″ margin on all four sides to accommodate the marks. If you choose a paper size that doesn’t have extra margin for your marks, the printer will crop them out and not show the marks.
9. Confirm that your new paper size is selected in the Paper Size dropdown menu and that your printer is selected in the Format For dropdown menu.
Print Menu Preview
10. Check the preview in the Print Menu to be sure that your document is laid out correctly and not being cut off, and that the Media size and Document size are the same.
11. In the Color Management heading, under Color Handling, choose Let Postscript printer determine colors and Perceptual for Rendering Intent. Verify that the Preserve CMYK Numbers checkbox is checked.
12. When your document has reached Papercut, you will see a pop-up notification window.
Follow the releasing prints from Papercut instructions to release your print.
Remember to check the print cost before releasing the print – it can be a great indicator if something is wrong with the size of your print.